Those who didn’t fix their teeth in their teens, now have better options for correcting their misaligned teeth to get that perfect smile. The invisible clear teeth aligners are becoming increasingly popular for straightening teeth in a more comfortable and inconspicuous way.
Dental malocclusions such as gapped teeth, crossbites, overbites and underbites can all be corrected by the use of Clear Aligners. As with everything else, clear aligners come with their own pros and cons too. The only difference is that the advantages of using clear aligners are outstanding while the disadvantages only include the fact that aligners can only take care of mild to moderate malocclusions. Severe cases need to be treated with other methods.
What are clear aligners?
Before looking at why clear aligners are the best for teeth straightening, here is some basic information on how aligners work. They are made from clear, BPA-free, smooth plastic and are easily removable when eating, brushing or flossing. The orthodontist takes an initial impression of your teeth and makes a 3D digital model to create a series of aligner trays with computerized mapping technology. The aligner trays work by exerting constant, gentle pressure to align the teeth back into their natural position. The aligners will need to be changed every 2 weeks and need to be worn for at least 22 hours daily.
Benefits of Clear Aligners
There are a number of reasons why clear aligners make the best solution for teeth straightening. Here is a look at some of them:
- You have greater self–esteem and self-confidence when using clear aligners for straightening your teeth. This is because they are almost invisible to the naked eye and ideal for adults who don’t really want to show they are undergoing orthodontic treatment.
- Clear aligners are more comfortable to use when compared with traditional braces which use braces and metal wires that are known to hurt the inner cheek lining. Comparatively, the aligners are smooth plastic without any sharp edges that could cause injury.
- Since fewer trips are required for visiting the orthodontist when using clear aligners, you won’t need to take frequent time off from work or studies to carry on with your treatment.
- Every 2 weeks, a new set of aligner trays will be posted to you, meaning that you can easily carry on with the orthodontic treatment from the comfort of your home.
- Maintaining oral health is also easier when using clear aligners for straightening teeth. This is because, unlike braces that are affixed on the teeth, aligner trays can easily be removed when it’s time to eat, drink or brush teeth. Hence, food doesn’t get trapped between the teeth, leading to better maintenance of dental hygiene.
- With clear aligners, there are almost no emergency visits to the orthodontist. This is because unlike braces where the wire can come loose or a bracket dislocates, no such situations arise with clear aligners.
- Regular braces need a visit to the orthodontist every 4-6 weeks for adjusting the wires, changing the rubber bands, and even for clean-ups. And when this routine goes on for anywhere between one to three years, it does get tiresome. This is hardly the case with clear aligners which require comparatively shorter treatment durations. The timing will of course depend on the extent of alignment needed.
If you are thinking of using clear aligners, one of the better brands available in the market is OrthoFX. It’s known to produce better and faster results by virtue of its unique material and design.