Sony has announced the hardware specifications of its upcoming successor to PlayStation Portable(PSP), the PlayStation Vita.
PS Vita will have a 5-inch OLED capacitive touch-screen(960 x 544) capable of multi-touch, 512MB of RAM, 128MB of VRAM, powered by an ARM Cortex Quad-Core A9 chip and a PowerVR SGX GPU. There will be two VGA cameras(front and rear) capable of capturing images at 60 fps.
Additional features include 802.11 b/g/n WiFi, Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, 3G radio(optional), ports for game cards, memory cards, SIM cards (only 3G-equipped models), and a multi-use port that can support DC power input, USB, audio input and serial data.
PS Vita will also allow users:
- To exchange content without opening the device — similar to Nintendo 3DS Streetpass (Near System)
- To voice chat during games (Party Mode)
- To receive announcements from developers (LiveArea)
- To leave feedback, check recent achievements and trophies of friends (Activity Feed)
- CPU – ARM Cortex A9 core (4 core)
- GPU – SGX543MP4+
- Screen – 5 inches, 960 x 544 (16:9), Approx. 16 million colors, OLED Multi touch screen, capacitive
- Memory – 512MB
- VRAM – 512MB
- Cameras – Front 120fps@320×240(QVGA), 60fps@640×480(VGA)
- Rear – Up to 640×480(VGA)
- Dimensions – 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm WHD
- 3G (On 3G model only)
- Bluetooth 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)
- Ports – Vita slot, memory card, SIM (3G model only), multi-use port, audio, serial data, headset jack, accessory port
- Music – MP3 MPEG-1/2 Audio Layer 3, MP4 (MPEG-4 AAC), WAVE (Linear PCM)
- Videos – MPEG-4 Simple Profile (AAC), H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High/Main/Baseline Profile (AAC)
- Photos – JPEG (Exif 2.2.1), TIFF, BMP, GIF, PNG